8/13/2013

In Over Her Head, pt 4

Deke'o Starbreaker waits in the cockpit of The Maiden, having landed it in a clearing a kilometer or so from the Jedi training grounds, near the Twi'lek village. It seemed like not so long ago he'd first hooked up with his Jedi to deliver medical supplies here. Now they were back, and he was getting impatient.

When Litessen finally returns to the ship, she quickly heads for the cockpit, instinctively knowing where he would be and aware of his impatience long before arriving. As he turns to greet her, she gives him a warm smile that is purely for his benefit after the series of discussions and meetings she's spent the day in.

"Thank you for that database you recovered. It helped a great deal. Though I should tell you that neither of us will ever receive credit for its retrieval. Officially, while Master Zaron was on Taris last year, he discovered it as well as a little Mirialan girl who showed remarkable force sensitivity, and he brought both back with him at the time."

Deke'o gives her one of his lopsided grins when she finishes, putting his feet up on the console as he crosses his arms over his chest. "Officially, if they're able to tell lies like that, they should have no trouble making up some grand story, with appropriate heroics, for getting us some additional pay."

Litessen can't help but smile at his response. "Don't hold your breath. Still...since the negotiations I attended did not officially take place, there is little likelihood that anyone from the Republic will investigate Yen's existence. If someone does inquire after her, the Council has agreed to keep her true identity a secret."

Deke'o gets annoyed, but it's not because he's missing out on a payday for the database. It's because of her phrasing. "Oh they agreed did they? If they hadn't, the Republic would have needed new Jedi leadership. Did you give them my suggestion that she could change her name to Yen Starbreaker?"

Litessen answers patiently, "No, I did not. She'll be safer with a name that doesn't connect her in any way to you or I. The threat isn't past. After speaking with Yen, the Council has given me a new directive. It seems the circumstances surrounding her planned sale were a bit more complicated than a slaving transaction.

"The man who owned her - Jalif Makria - is part of a powerful merchant guild that operates in both the Empire and the Republic - discreetly, of course. While I agree with your feelings about slavery in general, as slave owners go, he seems to be among a minority that actually treat their slaves well and keep families together, even caring for their needs responsibly beyond the minimum necessities. Yen describes him very favorably, and she has grown up with her mother and two sisters."

Deke'o frowns, but lets the need to express his distaste go. "Speaking of threats, has there been any news of a handless man found dead on Taris? 'Cause that would make my day, actually."

"I haven't had the opportunity to look, but my feeling is that the bounty hunter won't last long if he did survive. There's a Sith involved in this. They don't like failure."

"As I said, this is more complicated," she added.

"With the Sith, things always are. You're trained for them, right?"

Litessen nods. "Yen's owner didn't want to sell her. He brought her back to his space station so that she could say goodbye to her family first."

"So, if we want to make sure she is completely safe, we just need to find this Sith and destroy him. Perhaps we should just start with every single one we meet, we'll eventually narrow it down."

"Perhaps we should talk when you can be less emotional about this?"

"This isn't emotional. This is me wanting to make sure that little girl never has to look over her shoulder."

Litessen turns a console chair to face him and slides into it. "Alright. Explain to me in realistic terms how you plan to go into a full on war against the Empire, and don't forget to include every Hutt and every gangster in the known universe."

She pauses to let that sink in before continuing. "The only way to safeguard her is to take this step by step, and even then, she won't always be safe - not from everything that could ever happen to her, anyway."

Deke'o gets one of his grins that says he's either got something completely brilliant in mind, or something sarcastic, or both. "Have you ever heard of the Foundry?"

Litessen sighs, rubbing her eyes. "I'm going to regret whatever you're about to say, aren't I?"

"Well, you asked how I planned to go into a full on war against the Empire."

"I was trying to make a point."

"I know. I'm just worried for her."

"She's safe now, Deke'o. I'm more worried about why this Sith wanted her enough to pressure one of the richest men in the universe into selling her."

"I know, I know." He throws his hands up in surrender. "And that's really the question. What about Yen was so special? I mean, she's an amazing kid, probably my favorite in the Galaxy. Was there something about her force ability?"

"Nothing that sets her apart from any other force sensitive youth. And if he just wanted her for training, Makria would've spun it that way when he sat down with the family to explain the situation. Instead, he offered the mother the consolation that he would make sure that Yen's sisters would have the best positions he could give them in his household. To Yen, it was as if they were already mourning her death. She knew she was in terrible danger."

Deke'o clenches a fist, but doesn't have another outburst - yet. He thinks on it for several long moments, then shakes his head as if to drive the thoughts away, like they're in a place he doesn't even want to think about. He just looks at Litessen, waiting to see if she's got any insight into the situation.

"Yen met him. I have a description, at least, but no name. I can't go back to Makria, because it would confirm that I took her. Right now, all her safety rests in the details of her disappearance being as scarce as possible. All I have is her accounting of the meeting, and it was very brief."

"I could try my underworld contacts. Through an intermediary of course. I wouldn't risk my name being associated with it."

Litessen nods. "That might help." She falls silent for a thoughtful moment. "She said that when he approached her, she knew her death was waiting with him. I don't know if she realized she was force sensitive before that moment."

"As much as I don't want to, I could also try an old adversary in Imperial Intelligence. He owes me a favor, might be able to get us a name from the description. Maybe."

"It's a place to start. Thank you."

[This post is converted from a scene RP'd with player-Deke'o. Huge thanks to him for allowing me to use it and for his contribution to this story. I'm only ever as good as the people I have the privilege of RP'ing with, and he is, as always, a great friend.]

No comments: