9/21/2014

Somewhere on the Outer Rim 3 (Jheryth)

Jheryth emerged from Olivia's fighter, looking around at the hanger bay he found himself in. The hanger was large enough to hold a couple of fighters, a small shuttle, and the crew assembled to greet the return of their captain. The contingent of armored soldiers snapped to attention when Olivia made her way past Jheryth, walking down the ramp of her ship.

The commander stepped forward, bowing his head with a practiced snap, “Welcome back, Captain. I see we have a guest.”

Jheryth followed Olivia, stopping at her side and facing the man that had ordered his death only a short time ago.

The alluring blond traced a finger down the length of Jheryth's arm, “Jheryth will be joining us. Show him around and get him settled.” Olivia made a show of appraising Jheryth hungrily with her eyes, “I am certain he will fit in quite nicely.” She turned on her heel and walked away, two of the soldiers falling into step behind her.

She called over her shoulder without missing a step, “Grendyl, I do expect you to make sure he feels welcome.”

Grendyl offered only a vicious smile, “I am Quartermaster Grendyl. Welcome to the Rising Tempest.”

Jheryth squared off with the man, returning the gesture with a wry grin, “I am certain the pleasure is all yours.”

They stared each other down, Grendyl calling out “Dismissed.” The soldiers snapped to attention, nodding in unison, then broke formation, removing helmets and talking amongst themselves, ambling out of the hanger.

“Follow me.”

Grendyl spun with a snap of his boots, making his way out of the hanger with precise steps, Jheryth striding behind.

“Not exactly the military exit I would have expected.”

“This is not the military. “ He motions to an open room as they pass by, “This is the galley. Meals are at 0700, 1300, and 1800 hours.”

“Whose army did you serve in?”

“My own.”

“A quartermaster with his own army? I find that hard to believe.”

“The Captain calls me that because she put me in command of her arsenal.” He motions to the upcoming intersection, “To the right leads to the weapons storage, cargo bay, and engine room.”

“Commanding her arsenal is not the same as commanding an army.”

Grendyl grunted in amusement, “Straight ahead leads to the forward guns as well as the bridge.” He hangs a left, continuing his brisk pace. “This way leads to the crew's quarters.”

“You may as well show me to Olivia's quarters. I expect to be spending most of my time there.”

“You will refer to her as Captain.” He passes several doorways before finally stopping, “And these would be your quarters.”

Grendyl grabbed Jheryth's arm, using Jheryth's continued momentum to shove him into the doorway, twisting his arm behind his back and forcing his face into the door with an elbow, “You killed one of my crew. That is not something I intend to forget.”

Jheryth worked his other arm free, using the force to push Grendyl away. He whirled to face him, closing his fist in the air as Grendyl struggled to breathe.

“It is not in my best interest to kill you now. Olivia will be giving me control of this ship. I suggest you accept the new pecking order. She will not have any use for a broken toy soldier.”

Jheryth released his hold.

Grendyl took a few moments, rubbing at his sore throat, regaining his composure, “Everyone on board has a job. The crew have very little experience in fighting a force user. You will be teaching them how. Training is at 0900 hours.”




No comments: