11/18/2015

Tales of the Devious Hope (Aittera Journal Thread)

“I wish I could have come in person, and even began to, but I was argued out of it.  It's been a long time, but I still think of you, I still miss you.  That's really all I want to say...”

Aittera paused the holo-recording, ran it back, played it again.

" I wish I could have come in person, and even began to, but I was argued out of it.  It's been a long time, but I still think of you, I still miss you.  That's really all I want to say...”

Pause.

She watched the frozen holo-image of Kol's face for several long, quiet moments. Jean had been quick to point out her run and hide approach to life when they'd spoken earlier, and now, she mused over those final moments before saying goodbye to Kol when word of the first Zakuul attacks had reached them.

“Take the Hope, and get as far away as you can.”

She reached forward to change the holo-terminal settings to record a message and turned to the inset holo-camera's lens...and smiled.

“I miss you too. I've had long nights trying to convince myself that there must be some way to make things work...to make it possible to be together.” She paused, glancing down toward the floor as one or two of those arguments with herself briefly resurfaced in her thoughts. Finally, she looked back up and, this time, her smile was softer, affectionate. “I think we're well past that though, so let's just skip to the important parts...

“I'm okay. I'm not drowning myself in whiskey or hating my life. If nothing else, what happened between us has made me want to live again, honor that knowledge that you're out there, loving me, willing me to be happy. I hope you know I feel the same way.”

She drew herself up to stand more confidently, giving the camera a satisfied nod.

“Your people are right. Don't come to Nar. And do me a favor – ignore anything you hear about me in the next few months. You have your people to protect, and I have mine. We'll see where things stand when we're all on the other side of this thing.”

She placed the tips of her first two fingers over her lips, kissed them, then flicked them toward the camera before ending the recording.

No comments: