4/23/2006

Lyria's Story

The following was taken from in game rp on 4/19. Many thanks to the player of Quixos for his significant contribution to the development of this character. :)



Quixos looked at her, filled with concern for her. I...Lyria I wanted to ask, what happened in the sewer?

Lyria glanced down for a moment, then up at the sky as she made the decision to trust this strange new friend who seemed so intrigued by her. His mind had been easy enough to see into, and his motives were honest - even oddly noble at times. It might be easier to show you.

She slipped the long black glove from her right hand and reached for his left, removing his leather glove. She pressed her palm to his, and he closed his fingers around her hand, holding it, giving her a means by which to focus more directly into his mind.

He briefly saw a younger Lyria - perhaps 14? And then, he was her...

She was running. Behind her, 4 older boys chased her, gaining. Fear pounded in the constant hammer of her heart in her chest. Each time she looked back to see if she'd shaken her pursuers, she found them still there, determination in their faces.

She ducked into an open door without even stopping to see where it leads - sewers - her chest heaving with breath, though there was no sound of it even in her own head as one might usually hear or remember.

She ran without regard to where she was going, the boys continuing to pursue her, until she became very lost in the dark, alone, unable to cry out for help. Panicked, her breath burning in her chest, unable to run any longer, she stopped and turned to face the direction she believed the boys to be coming from.

Lyria...

Yes?

Why were you being chased?

Because I was different. Because they thought I was weak.

What did you do?

I...I hurt them. Not intentionally. Two of them died. One is still in a coma, and the other...
There was a pause, the memory fading from his view, and she continued matter-of-factly. The other is unable to function.

How so?

It was the first time my powers manifested.

So they were frightened?

They were hurt. I lashed out with my mind. Blindly.

They'd have hurt you had they caught you though.

Yes. It took me hours to find my way out of the sewers.

So that's why you get nervous in them.

Yes.

You know I'd never leave you alone there, or let anything happen to you.


Did she? There was sincerity in his thought. He'd revealed to her that his own past had created a need for atonement for his part in another girl's torment. Perhaps this was simply an extension of that. In any case, she believed him.

I know that. Thank you.

Thank you for telling me, I just got..concerned.

It's...difficult.

I appreciate that you trust me enough to tell me.


They each smiled, and there was a warmth in the air between them for just that moment.

Please don't tell anyone about this...or...the disability? There are those who would take advantage.

What disability?


Inwardly, Lyria cursed herself a fool for not realizing that he hadn't noticed. In the end, it seemed better to be honest than to try to forge some kind of flimsy excuse for her slip. She gave him another sensation - one of a world without sound.

You don't hear do you?

Lyria pulled her hand from his and put her glove back on without looking up at him.

Not with my ears.

Don't worry, I'll never let anyone hurt you, or take advantage...I'm sure you know by now why.

That's why I trusted you enough to tell you.

No comments: