9/05/2013

Kel'ri's Journal (OOC Explanation)

So, in making Kel'ri my main, I started to worry that I wasn't writing for her and had no inclination to do so. The character, herself, tends to be very spontaneous and in the moment, so quite often, if I were to write for her, it'd be after the fact - something I'm already trying to do for Aittera and, eventually, Rismaa.

I thought about the old journal threads from back in the coalition days in CoH, but I didn't want to directly do that either. I also thought about how big a part music plays in setting mood or reflecting mood when I rp and write. So, why not kinda combine the two, keeping in mind that Kel'ri is also usually going at light speed. I don't think she'd write anything down, but she'd be likely to record herself saying something here and there, and I think she'd link music that reflects what's on her mind.

Now, yeah, I get it. Star Wars universe. Terribly not cannon to use pop/rock/metal/etc music. Hell, when I first said something to my guild leader about wanting to use music in some story-telling, he went straight to (and I'm paraphrasing, so don't have a cow) "Sure, that's a great idea. Just find a piece of classical music that fits what you're writing.".

There's breaking cannon rules to Mary Sue yourself into established story, and then, there's breaking cannon rules. I hardly think assuming music beyond the classical exists in that universe truly breaks cannon, and I don't think using music from our world is all that unacceptable. I'm not a musician, and my singing days are long done, so it's not like I'm going to jump up and write original music specific to the Star Wars universe just to make the effort completely cannon. Self expression comes from many different avenues, and I don't see why there should be restrictions on it for the sake of cannon.

Just to be on the safe side, though, Kel'ri's journal entries will only be posted here so that I don't offend anyone or break anyone's brain. Only 2 of you read this blog anymore anyway, right? :P

No comments: